01 December 2010

Ain't No Cure for the Wintertime Blues


According to my mother, this bit of a wintertime blues I’m going through isn’t just reserved for princesses like myself. We are well into the third week of the New Year and I don’t exactly feel rejuvenated nor do I feel resolved.
I feel cold!
I feel hungry!
And just when I think I’m going to do something about my blues… I lose all motivation, stay in with Jack and watch idol. (Pants on the ground! Hilarious!)
I feel like some random pessimistic tiny person with oversized hands has set up camp in my noggin. This irritating little head invader is just straight up getting on my nerves. She’s bouncing around pulling at nerves and poking at brain mush and quite frankly, ticking me off.
It would just be nice if I could kick her out for a bit so I could go back to normal and feel excited about my days again! Instead, I’m dragging myself out of bed, going to work, going to the gym, eating and going to bed.
And now, hit repeat.
So as I was saying, my mom said this doesn’t just affect princesses like myself. Of course I wanted to argue this with her so I looked into it and apparently I’m not the only one! That crappy little head invader is all over the place and is spreading a little something called SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. Or just call it what it is – Winter Depression. The typical symptoms include:
•    Difficulty waking up in the morning
•    Tendency to oversleep as well as to overeat, and especially a craving for carbohydrates, which leads to weight gain
•    Lack of energy
•    Difficulty concentrating on completing tasks
•    Withdrawal from friends, family, and social activities
And get this, just another reason guys have it soo easy – 70-80% of those with SAD are women! We get periods, we have babies, we get paid less AND we get SAD.
As this is an advice column, I suppose some advice on treatment would be nice… Well, I’m no doctor but I do have the Internet. Here goes… if you are experiencing a bit of the blues the Internet suggests:
Light therapy (like, with light-bulbs), ionized-air administration, medication, cognitive-behavioral therapy and carefully timed supplementation of the hormone melatonin.
That’s what the educated people say, but I think that sounds like too much work and a bit too serious. I suggest the following:
•    Go to the tanning bed – just once though! And cover your face – you don’t want to get wrinkles!
•    Chips, salsa and margaritas at La Hacienda! Pretend you’re in Mexico and it’s warm outside too.
•    Tis the season for jewelry parties – apparently this is big for January and a great way to reconnect with your lady friends and shop!
•    Home projects! Everything on earth is on clearance right now… it’s a great time to redecorate a room or even just clean your room.
•    Put in some good workouts. This will increase your endorphins and make you happy. Plus afterwards you should sit in the steam and remember what it’s like to be hot.
•    Find a good cuddle buddy. There’s nothing wrong with a little winter rendezvous.
•    And finally, celebrate my birthday! You don’t even have to come to the party. I just suggest having celebrations all of next week in honor of it.
That’s all I have to suggest! What do YOU do get through the wintertime blues?

No comments: